True / False
(True)1. Many people believe that computer literacy is
vital to success in today’s world. (5)
(False) 2. Hardware consists of a series of instructions that
tells the computer what actions to perform and how to perform them. (6)
(False)3. The circuitry of the system unit usually is part of or is
connected to a circuit board called the server. (7)
(True)4. Green computing involves reducing the electricity consumed and
environmental waste generated when using a computer. (10)
(False) 5. The client controls access to the resources on a network. (10)
(False)6. Web pages rarely have built-in connections, or links,
to other documents, graphics, other Web pages, or Web sites. (13)
(True)7. A video sharing community is a type of social networking Web site
that allows users to store and share their personal videos. (14)
(True)8. A text message is a short note, typically fewer than 300 characters,
sent to or from a smart phone or other mobile device. (22)
(True)9. Because embedded computers are components in larger products,
they usually are small and have limited hardware. (26)
(True)10. Telecommuting is a work arrangement in which employees
work away from a company’s standard workplace and often communicate with
the office through the computer. (32)
(False)11. With online investing, the transaction fee for each trade
usually is much more than when trading through a broker. (35)
1. Computer literacy, also known as digital literacy, involves having a current knowledge and understanding of _____. (5)
a. computer programming
b. computers and their uses
c. computer repair
d. all of the above
2. _____ is/are a collection of unprocessed items, which can include text, numbers, images, audio, and video. (6)
3. A _____ is a specific type of social networking Web site that allows users to create an online photo album and store and share their digital photos. (14)
c. photo sharing community
d. chat room
4. A _____ is recorded audio stored on a Web site that can be downloaded to a computer or portable media player. (14)
b. social networking Web site
5. _____ consists of the programs that control or maintain the operations of the computer and its devices. (15)
a. System software
b. A communications device
c. A graphical user interface (GUI)
d. Application software
6. A(n) _____ message is a real-time Internet communication, where you exchange messages with other connected users. (22)
7. Many large companies use the word(s), _____, to refer to the huge network of computers that meets their diverse computing needs. (32)
a. information technology
b. enterprise computing
8. _____ is a system that attempts to imitate the behavior of the human brain. (36)
b. A kiosk
d. A neural network
1.interprets and carries out basic instructions that operate a computer ==> processor
2.records (writes) and/or retrieves (reads) items to and from storage media ==> storage device
3.online community that encourages members to share their interests, ideas,
stories, photos, music, and videos with other registered users ==> online social network
4.programs designed to make users more productive and/or assist them with
personal tasks ==> application software
- set up software to work with a computer and other hardware components ==> install
- carry out the instructions in a computer program ==> execute
- mobile device on which you can store, organize, and play digital media ==> portable media player
- device that allows users to take pictures and store the photographed images
digitally, instead of on traditional film ==> digital camera
- combines text, graphics, audio, and video into one application ==> multimedia
- a system that attempts to imitate the behavior of the human brain ==> neural network
1. What is a computer? ____________ What is the information processing cycle? ____________
- computer is an electronic device that can perform operation under instruction, store, process and produce data its main purpose is to help human.
- information procssing cyde is the series of input, procerss, output and storage activities.
2. Describe two health risks posed by computers. ____________ How might computers have a negative effect on the environment? ____________
- can lead to injuries or discurders of the hand, eyes, etc.
- when computers discarded in landfills, they ca release toxic material and potentially dangerous level of lead, mercury, and flame retardants.
3. What is a Web application? ____________ What are some features of a Web 2.0 site? ____________
- web application is a website that allows users to access and interact with software from any computer or device that is connected to the internet.
- web 2.0 is a web sites that provide a means for user to share personal information to modify the web sites contents and have software buil into the site for users to access.
4. What are seven categories of computers? ____________ What determines how a computer is categorized? ____________
- categories= personal computer (dekstop), mobile computer and mobile devices, game consoles, service, mainframes, super computer, and embedded computers.
- a computer site= speed, processing power and price determine the category it best fits.
5. How do Web sites benefit individuals’ health care? ____________ How does telesurgery differ from telemedicine? _______________
- many websites profide up- to- date medial, fitness, nutrition, or exercise information.
- telesurgery is a surgeon performs of operation on a patient who is not located in the same room with the surgeon.
- telemedicine is a healthcare way that doesn’t require the doctor to be in the same place the other doctor or either the patient.